Eligibility: Open to youth in grades K-13 in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Register at: https://z.umn.edu/BestShotPhotoContest
*Youth must be enrolled in their state 4-H program.
To prepare for county fair, choose your best photo and write up to three sentences explaining why it’s special to you!
Choose your best picture (with no or minimal editing) and write up to three sentences explaining why it’s special to you. Submit your jpg or jpeg image and statement via email to email@example.com by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on March 31, 2022. In the email, use the subject line “4-H Best Shot Photo Contest” and in the body, please include the member’s name, grade and state. Once your email submission has been received and your registration verified, you will receive a confirmation email.
Submitted photos will be displayed in a slideshow. Volunteer photography judges will provide feedback and recognize the top quality images. All participants will have their names entered in a random drawing for prizes.
Subject matter is OPEN, but must be appropriate!
Additional information on the U of M webpage.
Tips for better photographs
- Photography 101: https://youtu.be/SNr-Lnozj2w
- Composition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArqUV0F1z_c&feature=youtu.be
- Intro to the color wheel, complementary colors, monochromatic color schemes, etc video (<5 min): https://youtu.be/L1CK9bE3H_s
- Article on why color is important in photographs: https://digital-photography-school.com/the-importance-of-c…/
- Perfect Exposure and Metering: https://youtu.be/jmY3Nac26yc
- Best lesson in photography for beginners: https://youtu.be/pehFC05cohw
- Silhouette Photo Tutorial (cell phone friendly): https://youtu.be/GSV1dC3mEEw
- ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed: https://youtu.be/6_B8pVoANyY
- Camera Basics: https://youtu.be/ixRKeQMa7Nc
- Light Painting Basics: https://youtu.be/CkvWzd4TKD8
- Light Painting: https://youtu.be/vDtAdYoFk-8
- Leading Lines:
Build your skills with these resources
- 4-H Photography Curriculum
- Minnesota 4-H Photography project page
- Tips for landmark and monument photography
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org