Welcome to Dunn County 4-H!
4-H is a community of young people across America who are learning leadership, citizenship, and life skills.
For more than a century, Wisconsin has been a leader in 4-H youth development, giving young people throughout the state an opportunity to learn new skills, gain self-confidence and contribute to their communities. Using real-life experiences from a team of devoted educators and volunteers, 4-H members benefit from leadership training, community-building experiences and experiential-learning opportunities to better their own lives and the lives of the people around them.
The wide array of 4-H programs enriches the lives of participants and their families and strengthens Wisconsin’s communities through volunteer service, civic involvement, and leadership.
What is 4-H all about?
4-H members get involved in their communities as volunteers and youth leaders. They learn new things by completing dozens of different kinds of projects, going on trips, having parties, hosting international students, participating in local government, experimenting with science, making art, going to camp, learning to canoe or taking care of an animal. These activities are largely facilitated though, research-based youth programming, learning-by-doing, regular 4-H club meetings, and adult mentorship. 4-H fosters healthy youth and adult relationships through process solving, project development, and interactive learning. 4-H is fun. 4-H grows here!
According to the 4‑H Study of Positive Youth Development by Tufts University, 4‑H youth are:
- 6 times more likely to be at the highest levels of positive development
- More likely to see themselves going to college compared to other youth
- 25% more likely to contribute to themselves, their families, and communities
- 41% less likely to engage in high risk behaviors
The Positive Development of Youth: Comprehensive Findings from the 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development is a longitudinal study that began in 2002 and was repeated annually for eight years, surveying more than 7,000 adolescents from diverse backgrounds across 42 U.S. states. Check out the Full Report | Fact Sheet
If you have any questions regarding Dunn County 4-H, please contact:
Extension Dunn County
3001 US Hwy 12 E, Suite 216
Menomonie WI 54751-3045
Statewide 4-H News
- In Wisconsin 4-H, we understand our important role in helping to build emotional health in youth. Volunteers can help by creating safe and welcoming spaces and acting as trusted adults. Supporting Youth Mental Health training supports you as volunteers, as you support youth. It’s important to know how to be there youth when they’re down, […]
- Jennifer Sirangelo, CEO of the National 4-H Council, wrote the following about #TrueLeaders in the National 4-H Council blog. America is facing a leadership crisis. Many young people today aren’t being given the opportunity to learn the tenacity, strategic-thinking and people skills that they’ll need to lead – now and in the future. 4-H decided […]
- The Wisconsin 4-H Foundation would like to recognize its generous donors. The support of these generous partners provide essential funding for 4-H programs throughout Wisconsin. Emerald Clover ($30K+) Compeer Financial Platinum Clover ($10K-$24,999) AgCountry Farm Credit Services Andis Foundation, Inc. Cedar Crest Ice Cream Culver’s Foundation Egg Innovations Equity Cooperative Livestock Sales Association GreenStone Farm […]
- The University of Wisconsin – Rusk County is excited to announce that Mary Big Mountain is the new Positive Youth Development Extension Educator for Rusk County! Mary grew up on a Wisconsin farm and participated at the fair by showing in dairy cows, pigs, photography and in 4-H canned goods. She laughs about the time they used to […]
- Welcome Kate Wallner to Wisconsin 4-H! Kate is delighted to be joining the UW Extension team as 4-H Program Educator in Ashland County! Kate is a born and raised Ashlander who earned a BA in Philosophy from UW-Madison and is currently working on a Masters in Sustainability. Along with studying in India, she served in […]